Valentines 2015

Valentines 2015

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Yet another OB appointment!

So we had an appointment with the OB today to follow up from the peri appointment yesterday. Turns out my OB was called in for an emergency C section, so he wasn't around to see me, so I saw his PA instead. The girls continue to look great on the ultrasound! They are both measuring pretty darn close now on this ultrasound machine as well, and I'm guessing that's because baby Brianna has flipped head down and it's harder to get accurate measurements on her. Their weights at the OB today were:

Baby A - AKA Olivia - 4 lbs 15 oz

Baby B - AKA Brianna - 4 lbs 12 oz

Either way the PA wasn't concerned about the girls at all and said they were doing great! Baby Olivia actually has her cord wrapped around her neck once, but the PA wasn't concerned at this point and says it's pretty common. Hopefully it doesn't stay that way though. . .I can imagine that could become problematic during delivery!

So, the babies are doing well. YAY. Momma though. . .well. . .I'm having a LOT of swelling - my feet, ankles, and legs - all huge and full of fluid. And I can't get it to go down. I have gained a ton of weight in the last month - nearly 25 lbs - and my blood pressure has gone up some too, so now they are concerned about preeclampsia. They are having me do some additional blood work in the morning and are having me do a 24 hour urine (yuck)! I go back to see them Thursday afternoon for a recheck and to discuss the results of the blood work and 24 hour urine test, and then I am scheduled to come in again on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. They are keeping a very close eye on me at this point.

So, we are keeping on a trucking here! 34 weeks 1 day, and overall doing pretty darn well! Hope you are doing well too!!!

3 comments:

  1. You're doing GREAT! Your girls are the size mine were at birth (33 weeks/1 day): 4-11 and 4-13 and they did fine! Congrats on making it this far! Hoping you avoid pre-e, that's what I had! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok well assuming you are reading this and not in the hospital, you made it farther than I did! Good work mama! I really hope you don't have pre-e but just know that if you deliver now, your babies will be fine. I came over here to answer your questions from my blog so that I'd know you would see it.

    My advice with the night feedings- do whatever lets you get some sleep. I pump after I feed the girls during the day and use that milk at night. Even so, they still end up getting 1 formula bottle at night (average) which doesn't worry me at all. Obviously breatmilk is best but one formula bottle isn't going to hurt them at all (even my lac. consultant said its fine). They're still getting almost all breastmilk and all the benefits that come with that. Right now we are so lucky- the girls are only getting up twice at night, about 4 hours apart (not sure if that is at all normal for 3 week olds but we're going with it!) so hubby takes one feeding and I take one feeding. The dual nursing is getting easier but I still need someone to help me get set up. If you don't have a twin nursing pillow, I can recommend the EZ 2 Nurse Twins pillow (google it, its awesome). My last nursing rec- stand up for yourself and your right to nurse! I gave in and let them give the girls bottles (they pulled out their IVs and needed hydration/low blood sugar/spinal headache on my part) and I really regret it. It has made our bf relationship so much more complicated than it needs to be. Make sure you get hooked up with a lac consultant right away- before they're born even.

    It is so much easier to sleep with the babies across the hall and no monitor! I'm sure the kiddos will work their way back into our room eventually- the rec is that they sleep in your room for the first 6 months but for now, we just cant do it! Anyway, I wanted to say good luck! You'll find what works for you. If you can get your hands on it before your girls are born, the La Leche League book Mothering Multiples has great info about bf twins. Some days you will feel like you are covered in breastmilk (because you are) but don't give up! I'm always happy to listen. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie - thanks SO much for dropping by and giving your input! It is SOOO helpful! I have the EZ 2 nurse twins pillow, so I am thrilled that that is what has helped you=). These are all great tips, and I have a feeling I will be referring back to your comment after the ladies get here! Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!